God displayed in His mighty creation

God displayed in His mighty creation
double rainbow at my house spring 2010

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Spiritual Lessons from Nature

While out on an aerobic walk with my dog, Lucky, I spotted what I first thought was a bird. "How strange" I thought as it was dusk. As this unknown flying animal darted here and there I caught a glimpse of it from below against the evening sky and of course it was not a bird but a bat.

Bats are cool creatures in my mind. I got to thinking about bats and how they can't see (well) yet they choose to fly at night, "uh not smart!" at least one would think that, BUT of we know that God has given them something special so that they can navigate through the darkness - Sonar. They send out a sonar signal which bounces off of things and their ears pick up the reverberations and they can find food and no bump into things.

I got to thinking how this can be like our lives. As I try to navigate through the darkness of this world I am blind. Yet with prayer (my sonar) I can "bounce" off of Christ and He then tells me where to go and how to move through the darkness so I don't bump into things (make those dangerous choices in life that can harm me).

Now if the bat chose to one day not use its sonar or to not listen to the reverberations what do you think will happen? Not pretty! Instead of seeing them flitter and flutter through the sky I would have seen the poor bat go "splat." Not a pretty sight.

Same goes for us in our lives. If I chose to not listen to what Christ's answers are or His direction my life will not be pretty. Take that a step further and I can also say what if I instead of using prayer (my sonar), I get my direction from others? (no direct correlation to bats here sorry) I will not receive an accurate reading of what is really happening.

Keep your eyes and heart fixed on Christ, He makes all things beautiful in His time.